Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Byrd, Barney, and Baseball

For those of you who don’t know, I am a pretty big baseball fan. Well, not just any baseball, really just Chicago Cubs baseball. Earlier this week I heard two Chicago Cubs players were going to be in Des Moines playing at the Iowa Cubs (the Chicago Cubs Triple A team) on a rehab assignment. One of them being my favorite player Darwin Barney who bummed his knee while sliding into home plate.


And Marlon Byrd who was hit in the face by a pitch during this game


I really wanted to see them play but it was a Monday night, my husband was working, and I really didn't want to find a babysitter at a moments notice. Not wanting to wrestle a one year old by myself I called a few friends (also Cubs fans) to see if they wanted to go to the game. They did, score. Before we left for the game we found out it was $1 hot dog night. How hard could it be to entertain a one year old at her first baseball game? Can't be that hard... I'll bring snacks, she'll eat a hot dog and people watch. Lets just say things didn't go as planned.


When we first got there she was very interested in all the people and music. But she got bored pretty quickly. Soon she was getting up and down out of her seat, saying hi to the people all around us, trying to pick up peanut shells from the ground, sticking her hand in my pop trying to get the ice, accidentally grabbing the arm of the lady next to us (whom she shared an armrest with). Thankfully it was a slow night at the ball park and we just moved up a row where we couldn't bother anyone. Every child under the age of two is considered a "lap child" and get in for free. I can't imagine taking her and making her sit on my lap the entire time. Oh my.

Surprisingly we did make it to the 8th inning... Yay! Go Cubs!

Lauren is always quick to make friends. Here she is with her new friend Ryan.

The game wasn't a complete wash out. I did enjoy myself. I am thankful for good friends, a friendly daughter who acts like a one year old (however, I did have to practice lots of patience:), nice weather and summer baseball!

I'm sure we'll make it to another game.... in a year or two.... and with Daddy :)

No comments:

Post a Comment